Brighouse Town 1-2 Liversedge FC – Joe Walton late winner seals derby victory

Liversedge FC completed a second consecutive calendar year unbeaten in league football with a 2-1 away win at local rivals Brighouse Town in a feisty encounter.

Sedge have been in excellent form all season, but their opponents also came into the game on a run of three consecutive victories and they looked up for a battle with the league leaders.

Brighouse’s Shiraz Khan had the game’s first shot on target when he picked up the second ball following a challenge on the edge of the area and shot straight at Jordan Porter.

Liversedge looked to be in for the first time when Ollie Fearon played Ben Atkinson through with Brighouse keeper Giosue Bellagambi tripping the midfielder.

The first signs of the game boiling over ensued after the incident with a minor scuffle which saw five yellow cards distributed.

Porter was forced into more action via efforts from Khan and Jack Boyle but these were mostly simple for the Sedge keeper.

Boyle then rattled the bar with a good strike from around 20 yards out after some nice footwork to create the space to shoot.

Following a tight first half where Porter was the busiest keeper, Sedge started to get on top in the second period.

Paul Walker headed a Jack Hardacre cross off target and Walker made a few deliveries of his own which mostly came to nothing.

The hosts had some chances on the break with Porter getting down to take the ball out of Khan’s feet before making another low save from a shot from the edge of the box.

Atkinson saw a deflected strike zip narrowly wide and Kevy Tarangadzo met a corner but missed the target.

The pressure finally paid off when Atkinson found the target from point-blank range in the 74th minute.

Substitute Lewis Whitham crossed in for Joe Walton to head down to Jack Stockdill who rolled the ball on to Atkinson to find the net.

Sedge almost compounded the misery when Tarangadzo headed against the bar from a corner with the defender putting the ball back in the box for Walton to find the net with a header from an offside position.

Both sides were reduced to 10 men with five minutes of normal time remaining.

Some Brighouse players took exception to a Stockdill challenge in the middle of the park and started a scuffle which erupted with most members of both teams involved.

The referee sent off Stockdill and Brighouse’s Corey Gregory and the game eventually restarted.

Liversedge looked to manage the game and get three points over the line but were set back in the final minute of normal time.

The dangerous Jack Boyle lined up for a free-kick on the edge of the area and smashed a low shot around the wall on the keeper’s side to beat Porter.

But there was time for one more twist and in the sixth minute of added Joe Walton repeated his Basford heroics by scoring another late winner.

Whitham’s corner turned into a bit of a scramble and the ball eventually fell to the feet of Walton who stabbed home.


Brighouse Town: Bellagambi; Smith, Beeden, Nebard, Grant; Gregory, Hurtley (Haigh, 62); Clarke (King, 78), Boyle, Khan; Harrison;

Subs (not used): Sorhaindo, Reed, Souter

Goals: Boyle (90)

Yellow cards: Bellagambi (24), Nebard (24), Clarke (36)

Red cards: Gregory (84)


Liversedge FC: Porter; Hardacre, Tarangadzo, K. Harris, Field; Daly (Raw, 90 +6), Stockdill, Atkinson; Fearon (Allott, 90), Walton, P. Walker (Whitham, 63)

Subs (not used): N. Walker, Emery

Goals: Atkinson (74), Walton (90 +6)

Yellow cards: Tarangadzo (24), Porter (24), Daly (24), Walton (90 +6)

Red cards: Stockdill (84)

MOTM: Kevy Tarangadzo


Attendance: 827


Referee: Ian Johnston

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *