Liversedge FC v Emley AFC: Friendly Match

Defensive Mistakes Cost Liversedge

Light rain fell before the kickoff with Sedge defending the cowshed, Emley who hadn’t played a game for seven weeks wasted no time, in the first minute they broke away down the right-hand side and Savory unleashed a shot which hit the foot of the post.

Sedge came back and after 6 minutes Fearon just failed to connect from a cross by Walker, Fearon then had a shot saved by Stevens in the Emley goal but the flag was up for offside. Dickinson for Emley had a good shot from the left superbly tipped over the bar by Porter in goal, and from the resulting corner Steers headed clear. Kenny for Sedge had a shot take a deflection and was tipped over the bar by Stevens, seconds later Kenny had a good chance but put the ball well over the bar. Kyle Willis was working hard for the visitors but when he was in a good position with a free kick his effort went wide of the post. After 30 minutes Sedge got the breakthrough when a corner from Walker on the left found Fearon who outjumped his marker to make it 1-0 to Sedge. Emley never gave up and after neat work from Charlton he ball found Willis, but his shot was over the bar. Emley were pressuring Liversedge still, this time with Savory , he made space to get a shot off but Tarangadzo blocked and Cranswick had an effort go wide just before half time. Emley kicked off in the 2nd half but it was Sedge first into attack, Hardacre on the left had a shot go over the bar and good work from Gaichem and Bottomley gave Fearon a chance but his low shot went just wide of the post. Porter saved well from Haydock for Emley, and we then had the usual influx of substitutes from both sides during the half.

On 62 minutes Sedge should have made it 2-0 when from a Walker corner on the left Jack Steers header found Tarangadzo in a good position but he somehow put the ball over the bar. Bottomley for Sedge had a shot go over the bar and on 73 minutes Sedge paid the price, an Emley corner on the right came in and as Porter failed to gather it was James Knowles who scored for the visitors. After further substitutes and 6 minutes left of the game it was Bennett who made it 2-1 to Emley after a mix up in the Sedge defense. With 2 minutes to go Fearon and Raw had shots saved by Stevens in the Emley goal.

It was much needed game time for Emley after no game for 7 weeks, as for Liversedge their eyes will be looking at the more important game on Saturday at Sunderland Ryhope in the FA Vase and will be glad they came through the game with no serious injuries.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *