Liversedge FC vs Athersley Recreation: NCEL

Walton Brace Wrecks Athersley Hopes


A rainy start at Sheerien Park ensured a soft pitch as Liversedge kicked off in Barnsley, Sedge went on the offensive first when good work from Walton, Gaughan and Fearon forced a corner on the right but Farrar in the home goal collected.

Two minutes later it was the same Sedge trio who created an opening on the right but again Farrar gathered Fearon’s cross. A goal from Sedge seemed certain and on 5 minutes a great cross from Porritt on the right found and unmarked Gaughan who headed home to make it 1-0. Jack Steers missed making it 2, just putting the ball wide of the post from another dangerous Porritt free kick. Tarangadzo brought Athersleys’ Bennett down on the edge of the box, the home side appealed but to no avail. Athersley were struggling to make any headway, but when they did a shot from Chipamunka was blocked by Sedge.

Sedge were forced into an early substitution on 18 minutes when Hardacre came on for the injured Field. Athersley struggled to contain Fearon and when his cross from the right came in, Walton was there to score on 19 minutes.  It was all Sedge, Walker and Gaughan linked well to create space for Fearon but the winger fired over the bar. Farrar in the home goal made a good save a minute later tipping over a header from Steers.

It was 3-0 to Sedge when Walton got on the end of a low cross from Fearon on the right, and only two minutes later it was 4-0 when Fearon got on the scoresheet. Athersleys’ best effort came on 33 minutes when Porritt brought down Bennett and was cautioned, Chipamunka took the free kick that went just over the bar. The 2nd half Athersley made 2 substitutions, Wordsworth for High, and Hulley for Berry. Having instant impact Sedges offensive danger down the left-hand side was more contained by Athersleys’ defence. It was Athersley however who had the first shots on goal when Wordsworth’s shot went over, and Mills shot just wide.

Walker had a shot deflected for a corner and Fearon had a shot saved by Farrar in goal. On 69 minutes Athersley made another substitution, Still coming on for Chipamunka. It was Still who had a shot on goal but a handball on the edge of the Sedge box gave Athersley a free kick, Salmons took it but it was deflected for a corner with Athersley claiming a hand ball and penalty, the referee wasn’t having it. Sedge brought on Bottomley and Boshell for Fearon and Gaughan on 72 minutes.

Athersley had a long-range effort superbly tipped over by Porter in goal on 74th. Bottomley for Sedge was looking lively but well marshalled by Morton. Sedges Boshell laid on a chance for Kenny who shot over the bar. Athersley should have scored in the 85th when a good cross from Wordsworth on the right found Bennett unmarked but he put his header wide of the post. Liversedge ran out 4-0 victors.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *