Match Report – Liversedge FC 3-0 Ossett United – 26032024

Northern Premier League – East Division

Liversedge FC 3 (Wollerton 13′ | Dyche 59′ 77′)

Ossett United 0

Liversedge: Jordan Porter (GK), Kwame Boateng, Jeremie Milambo (Will Portman 75′), Simon Heslop (George Proctor 79′), Dan Hartley, Kurt Harris, Alex Wollerton, Alfie Raw, Eddie Church, Jack Dyche (Joe Walton 79′), Jack Carr. Subs not used: Kevy Tarangadzo, Theo Hudson.

Ossett United: Callum Hiddleston (GK), Jacob McLoughlin, Harry Wallis TJ Ibrahim, Adam Watson, Shane Killock, Tom Claisse, Derry Robson, Sam Tingle (Stafford Clarke 82′), Rafa Ferreira, Niah Payne (Jordao Costa 75′), Adam Priestly (Reece Mellor 60′). Subs not used: Paddy Miller, Alex Peterson.

Referee: Connor Ledgeway

Booked: Milambo, Harris (Liversedge), Hiddleston (Ossett)

Sent Off: Claisse (Ossett)

Venue: The Leading-Edge Clayborn Stadium

Attendance: 280

Liversedge secured back-to-back wins for the first time this calendar year after beating Ossett comfortably in last Tuesday night’s fixture.

What may have been a tense West Yorkshire Derby quickly became a game that Sedge controlled from start to finish, with the visitors struggling to break down their hosts and cope with defending against quality attacking play. Alex Wollerton set the tone early on with the first chance of the game, striking wide of the post on this occasion, but he and the eager Sedge crowd wouldn’t have to wait long for the game’s first goal.

Wollerton would find himself with a lot of space and made a quality run, directing him to the right corner of the box before striking the ball with precision. From here, Sedge never really looked back and was keen for more. Eddie Church had the ball in the net again for Sedge only a few minutes after Wollerton’s goal, but the referee had blown his whistle for a free kick as Church struck the ball, denying him the goal his performances recently and on the night deserved.

A couple more chances came Sedge’s way, with Wollerton central to much of the night’s action. Another effort from him forced Ossett keeper Callum Hiddleston into the first of many saves he’d be forced to make. A barely a minute later, Wollerton was linking up with Jack Dyche, who had his first night effort just over the bar.

The game then went from bad to worse for our visitors, as Tom Claisse was shown a red card for a challenge on Sedge’s left-back Jeremie Milambo. This challenge brought about a coming together from both teams, with it looking to be a typical derby day tackle. Milambo was booked for taking issue with the challenge, while Claisse would be shown a red amongst the crowd of players surrounding the referee.

Now, being a goal up and having a man advantage over their opposition, Sedge looked to press home their advantage over the visiting team before halftime. Church would have a header saved by the Ossett keeper Hiddleston, and Milambo took aim from outside the box, but his effort was too broad for the post. Jack Carr got more involved in the game, setting up Simon Heslop for a ranged effort that exceeded Ossett’s goal. Then, a long ball found its way to Carr in added time, but he shot over the bar before the referee called time in the first half.

HALF TIME: Liversedge FC 1-0 Ossett United

With the teams back out for the second half, Sedge played a very composed game against the 10-men of Ossett, and the first chance of the half would be for the home team. Dyche had a decent effort on the edge of the box, but his curled shot was narrowly over the bar. Just as with Wollerton in the first half, he wouldn’t wait long to get his goal.

Sedge had worked the ball well into the visiting team’s box, and Church managed to get a touch to the ball under pressure from an Ossett defender, setting up Dyche, who neatly finished past Hiddleston to finally get his goal. From here, it was pretty comfortable showing from Sedge, with goalkeeper Jordan Porter not being called into action throughout the game.

As Sedge started their search for a third, they would instead suffer a second booking of the night. Following a cross from the right side, Kurt Harris challenged for it and stuck a boot out to try and make contact with the ball. Ossett keeper Hiddleston claimed just before he could, and Harris caught him. After another coming together from both sets of players, the referee would show Harris and Hiddleston the yellow card.

Sedge controlled as they had done all night, and players began lining up almost to add their names to the scoresheet. Carr would see an effort saved by Hiddleston, and the Ossett goalie was forced into a good stop by Heslop, who’d unleashed a rocket of a shot heading for the top corner. Dyche and Wollerton were keen to add to their own goal tallies with more efforts on goal, shooting wide and over, respectively.

Both sides looked to their benches after 75 minutes, with Niah Payne replaced by Jordao Costa and Reece Mellor replacing Adam Priestley. Stafford Clarke was also brought on for Ossett, replacing Sam Tingle. For Sedge, Will Portman came on for Milambo. A few minutes later, Sedge put the result beyond doubt.

Portman made his impact count as he crossed the ball along the floor and into the Ossett box, where Dyche timed his run onto it brilliantly, and he netted his second of the evening and Sedge’s well-deserved third goal. A double change saw Heslop being replaced by George Proctor, and goalscorer Dyche, who was quite unlucky not to have a hat trick, was subbed off for Joe Walton. As Dyche walked past the Cowshed End, fans applauded him for his brilliant performance, and he’d be awarded the Man of the Match award full-time.

One last chance for Sedge to get a fourth would fall for Church, but it would be too high and over the bar once again on a night when Sedge could easily have had perhaps doubled their goal haul, but the referee called time, and Sedge secured the 3 points and back-to-back victories for the first time in 2024.

FULL TIME: Liversedge FC 3-0 Ossett United

Report by Cam Cromack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *