Match Report – Liversedge FC 4 – 2 Bridlington Town

Northern Premier League – East Division

Liversedge FC 4 (Hardy 32′, 45′ | Raw 47′ | Carr 85′)

Bridlington Town 2 (Williamson 14′ | Bulless 90′)

Liversedge: Jordan Porter (GK), Will Portman, Kwame Boateng, Lewis Wilkinson, Ryan Toulson (Kevy Tarangadzo 54′), Kurt Harris, Simon Heslop (Alfie Raw 45′), Jack Stockdill, Liam Hardy (George Proctor 86′), Alex Wollerton, Jack Carr. Subs not used: Luke Parkin, Jack Hardacre.

Bridlington: James Hitchcock (GK), Ali Aydemir, Alex Markham, Pete Davidson (Tom Algar 73′), James Williamson, Jack Bulless, Glen Sani (Ellis Barkworth 44′), Matthew Dixon, Lewis Dennison, Andrew Norfolk, Jake Brown. Subs not used: Harry Milner, Finlay Southcoat, Marc Wain.

Referee: Matthew Tyers

Booked: Boateng, Raw, Tarangadzo (Liversedge), Davidson, Brown, Algar, Aydemir (Bridlington)

Venue: Clayborn

Attendance: 273

Last Saturday, Liversedge played their first home match of the new year, marking the occasion with an excellent 4-2 win against visiting Bridlington Town.

The game kicked off, and Sedge was under a bit of pressure from the visiting team, with an early free kick awarded to the Seasiders in the first ten minutes following a good run from Jake Brown. Visiting striker Lewis Dennison fancied taking a shot from the set piece, which was hit low, forcing Sedge keeper Jordan Porter into an early save to deny Bridlington.

Sedge had their own effort from a set piece moments later, with Will Portman winning the home side a free kick near the right-side corner flag. Jack Carr swung it in, but Bridlington cleared it initially. Sedge managed to pin the visitors into the box following Carr’s free-kick, but they could not capitalise on the pressure, and Andrew Norfolk decisively cleared for the away team.

Carr soon had another chance, with a long ball over the top falling well for him. Visiting keeper James Hitchcock had left his goal line, presenting the opportunity for the Sedge man to lift the ball over the onrushing goalie, but he couldn’t quite get the height on it off the volley. A big chance missed for the hosts.

The game soon had its first goal, going to the away team following a strange situation where the linesman and referee momentarily disagreed on which way a free kick should be given. The referee ultimately went for the linesman’s call, which is understandable as the linesman was closer to the incident. Bridlington had their free kick on their right side, and they put it dangerously into the box. The ball soon fell to Lewis Williamson, who scored the goal to give the visitors the lead inside the opening 15 minutes.

Almost straight away from the restart, Carr had another chance to shoot at the visitor’s goal, but his effort went wide of the post. It was a decent response to going behind, showing that Sedge wasn’t out of the game and would keep pushing for the equalising goal. However, Dennison was played in behind the Sedge defence minutes later while the home team pushed forward, and a super stop from Porter to tip the Bridlington striker’s effort over the bar kept Sedge in the game.

For the next 10 minutes of the game, Sedge pushed for the goal to get them back on terms, with a corner awarded to them in the 22nd minute, a decision which visiting player Pete Davidson disagreed with and was subsequently booked for voicing his opinion to the referee. The corner was played low into the box, presenting Simon Heslop with the chance to shoot, but Hitchcock pushed it wide. In the 28th minute, Carr, who had been Sedge’s liveliest player, beat several Bridlington defenders with significant bits of skill, but the finish lacked accuracy, shooting wide. The goal was coming, and the home crowd wouldn’t be waiting too long to celebrate.

An excellent team move from Sedge presented Liam Hardy with the chance just after the half-hour mark as the ball came across the goal. His effort hit the bar but bounced over the line, giving Sedge the equaliser, which had felt inevitable for the last few minutes. They are back on level terms and looking more potent by the minute. Hardy nearly turned the game around minutes later, but Hitchcock saved well.

The game was stopped shortly after it was reported to the referee that derogatory comments were heard from the crowd. This incident does not reflect the values of Liversedge FC, and it is wholeheartedly condemned by all associated with the club. There is no room for this discriminatory language in our game or society, and the club stands entirely against this.

The half had a frantic ending, with both sides the away side forced into a change which saw Glen Sani, who’d been Bridlington’s goal scorer in the reverse fixture, replaced by Ellis Barkworth. Jake Brown was also booked for a foul late in the first half. In stoppage time, Dennison was again bearing down on Porter’s goal, but this time, he failed to get the shot away, which proved costly to the visiting team.

As the half came to a close, Sedge got their second goal, turning the game around and in their favour. Hardy again scored after a goal-line scramble, with the ball bouncing off keeper Hitchcock and allowing the striker to score with his left foot. Sedge also ended the half with an enforced sub, with Heslop replaced by Alife Raw.

HALF TIME: Liversedge FC 2-1 Bridlington Town

The second half started brilliantly for the hosts, who soon extended their lead thanks to Alfie Raw. Sedge had started the half on the front foot, winning a corner which gave Raw a chance on the half volley, which he struck brilliantly into the back of the net, giving visiting keeper Hitchcock little chance of saving it.

However, Bridlington was sure to respond shortly after, with Jack Bulless pulling one back before the 50th minute, heading the ball past Porter following a free kick for the away side. However, the half would only continue to deliver more than its opening five minutes, with chances becoming quite scarce for both teams.

Bridlington had another chance to equalise nearly 10 minutes later, as sub-Ellis Barkworth shot well over the crossbar. Shortly after that effort, Sedge had an effort saved from Alex Wollerton, with both teams looking for the goal they both needed. Barkworth would again try an effort at the Sedge goal in the 71st minute, this time shooting wide. As before, Sedge had their opportunity minutes after that, with a corner falling on the head of Kurt Harris, who’d steered it wide of the post.

Yellow cards were handed out to Raw and Sedge substitute Kevy Tarangadzo, who’d replaced Ryan Toulson early in the second half. They both joined Kwame Boateng in the book for Sedge after his booking early in the first half. Bridlington substitute Tom Algar, who’d replaced Davidson, was cautioned for a dangerous challenge on Tarangadzo towards the 80th minute. Ali Aydemir would join him in the referee’s book after a dramatic dive on 80 minutes, hoping to win the away side a penalty. Still, the referee wasn’t having it, booking the Bridlington man for simulation.

It was in the 85th minute that Sedge put the result beyond doubt, with Jack Carr capping off an outstanding game or himself with a goal scored from a very tight angle, a goal he and the team thoroughly deserved on the night. Sedge saw the remaining minutes out very well, and the referee called time on a game Sedge deserved to win.

FULL TIME: Liversedge FC 4-2 Bridlington Town

It was an essential win for Sedge during a game where they had the better of their opponents, winning the first home game of the year utterly and getting their first win since Ashington away in late November.

Cam Cromack – Media Assitant

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *