Match Report – Newton Aycliffe 2 – 0 Liversedge

Northern Premier League – East Division

Newton Aycliffe 2 (Kiernan 10′ | Jackson 71′)

Liversedge FC 0

Newton Aycliffe: Nathan Fisher (GK), Ryan Barrow, Toby Pascoe, Marc Costello, Dale Elgie (Oscar Eckley-Aldsworth (74′), Wayne Whitfield (Jack Clarkson 74′), Ethan Wood, Jake Petitjean, Cole Kiernan (Kyle Davis 80′), Cieran Jackson, Liam Adamson. Subs not used: Jack Blackford

Liversedge: Jordan Porter (GK), Will Portman (Jack Carr 33′), Jeremie Milambo, Joe Skarz, Kevy Tarangadzo, Kwame Boateng, Alfie Raw (George Proctor 88′), Jack Stockdill, Liam Hardy (Luke Parkin 64′), Alex Wollerton, Eddie Church. Subs not used: Lewis Wilkinson, Joe Walton.

Referee: Neil Howlett

Booked: Whitfield (Newton Aycliffe) Tarangadzo, Hardy (Liversedge)

Venue: Securicorp Stadium

Attendance: 181

The fourth game of January saw Liversedge travel to the North East to face Newton Aycliffe at a cold Securicorp Stadium last Saturday.

Sedge had been forced into a last-minute team change with Kurt Harris due to starting the game, being withdrawn from the playing squad altogether and replaced with Will Portman to start, and seeing Joe Walton taking a spot on the bench. Two debuts were also handed out in the Sedge team, with new arrivals Jeremie Milambo and Eddie Church in the side.

The game started slowly, with neither side carving clear-cut opportunities, mainly contesting the ball in midfield. Milambo had a volley towards the 10-minute mark, but it lacked any power and was easily blocked by the host’s backline.

Newton’s next attack moments later would prove clinical, with Liam Adamson sending Ryan Barrow free down the right wing and into a good crossing position where he was able to pick out Cole Kiernan, who took his effort quickly to beat Jordan Porter and give the home team the lead.

The following 20 minutes saw Sedge needing to dig in as the hosts looked to add a second goal quickly after their first. Wayne Whitfield played a good ball over the Sedge backline that goalscorer Kiernan got onto, attempting to lob Porter but putting it over the bar. Whitfield was booked minutes later for a foul in the middle of the pitch, picking up Newton’s only caution.

Cieran Jackson was next to try his luck at the Sedge goal, and his effort was reasonable. He cut in off the left side and struck the ball from range. Porter reacted well, tipping the ball over the bar in Newton’s last effort on target in the first half. Whitfield, from a free kick on the edge of the box, struck the ball over the bar and the fence behind the goal. Jackson and Kiernan would also see later efforts fly over the Sedge goal.

Just after the half-hour, Sedge had an opportunity to equalise. Will Portman burst forward with speed down the right side to win his side a corner kick? Although the corner was initially cleared, Sedge turned the ball into a crossing position and found debutant Church. Still, his header didn’t have the power to beat the Newton goalkeeper Nathan Fisher. Portman was subbed shortly after, with Jack Carr replacing him as Sedge changed shape to get back into the game.

The half ended strongly for the visiting team. Church managed to get behind the host’s backline to play the ball across the goal, looking for Alex Wollerton, who got close to it, but Fisher was able to get his hands onto the ball. Church then had two efforts just before half-time, with the first going over the bar and the second collected by Fisher.

HALF TIME: Newton Aycliffe 1-0 Liversedge FC

With the second half underway, Sedge began as they’d finished the first half. They pinned the home team in their half, creating many chances to get the equalising goal. However, Liam Hardy was shown a yellow card early on for what seemed to be a hard but fair challenge.

A free kick was won on the edge of the box following a foul by Newton defender Barrow. Wollerton was the one to take it, but he’d hit it too close to keeper Fisher, and it was a comfortable save for him, too. Minutes later, Sedge got in behind the Newton backline with Church, and his effort won Sedge a corner in the 59th minute. Milambo took it and found Jack Stockdill, but the header was wide of the goal. Quickly, Newton broke forward, taking advantage of the Sedge defence and rushing back to positions. They’d made a great opportunity to score, but an excellent block from Joe Skarz kept Sedge in the game.

Sedge pushed on for the next 10 minutes to find the equalising goal. Church played the ball to Hardy, but he found Fisher equal to his shot, saving with his feet. Wollerton tried his luck moments later, and still Fisher saved. Hardy was replaced by Luke Parkin moments after this effort. Towards the 70th minute, Wollerton got into an excellent crossing position, but no one in the box could get their heads onto it. Improved since the break, the next goal looked likely to be a Sedge equaliser.

Until, on 71 minutes, Newton had their second attack of the half after Jackson found himself beyond the Sedge defence and one-on-one with Porter. He managed to take the ball around the Sedge keeper and slot into the goal to give his side a 2nd goal against the run of play.

The game fizzled out, with the hosts making subs to see the game out. Oscar Eckley-Aldsworth replaced Dale Elgie, and Jack Clarkson replaced Wayne Whitfield. Kyle Davis replaced goalscorer Kiernan as Porter had to make a good stop in the 80th minute, preventing a third goal.

Sedge kept pushing for a consolation as the game added time, but Fisher remained strong in the host’s goal. Kevy Tarangadzo was shown a yellow card as he tried to get his foot to the ball for an effort on goal, but he made contact instead with Jake Petitjean in the game’s last action before full-time, ending a frustrating afternoon for the visiting team.

FULL TIME: Newton Aycliffe 2-0 Liversedge FC

By Cam Cromack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *