Match Report – Ossett United 0-4 Liversedge FC – 01042024

Northern Premier League – East Division

Ossett United 0

Liversedge FC 4 (Dyche 39’ | Milambo 49’ | Wollerton 70’, 90’)

Ossett United: Callum Hiddleston (GK), Jacob McLoughlin (Sam Tingle 77’), TJ Ibrahim (Fabian Bailey 85’), Shane Killock, Harry Coates, Tom Claisse, Adam Priestley, Derry Robson, Adam Watson (Leon Osbourne 77’), Reece Mellor, Rafa Ferreira. Subs not used: Paddy Miler, Jordao Costa.

Liversedge: Louis Hood (GK), Kwame Boateng, Jeremie Milambo, Simon Heslop (Will Portman 73’), Dan Hartley, Kurt Harris, Alex Wollerton, Alfie Raw, Joe Walton (Samuel Essien 69’), Jack Dyche, Jack Carr (George Proctor 73’). Subs not used: Kevy Tarangadzo, Theo Hudson.

Referee: Joe Moss

Booked: McLoughlin, Watson (Ossett) Harris, Raw (Liversedge)

Venue: Ingfield Stadium

Attendance: 485

3 wins and 5 clean sheets in a row for Liversedge now after a brilliant performance over West Yorkshire rivals Ossett United.

Despite the eventual scoreline, it was a relatively slow start to the game, with neither side creating many chances to score. Jack Dyche had the first for Sedge after good build-up play and set-up from Joe Walton, but the effort went wide of the post. Ossett took over 10 minutes to create their first real chance of the game after Rafa Ferreira won his side a free kick outside the box, which Sedge skipper Kurt Harris dealt with.

Conditions of the pitch played a factor in early doors, with both sides seeing players slipping on the surface but neither being able to take advantage of these moments. It took 25 minutes for the game to liven up, which started when TJ Ibrahim won his side a free kick, and several players would go into the referee’s book from this incident. Harris and Alfie Raw were booked for Sedge, while Adam Watson would also see the yellow card while the referee was surrounded by players. The free kick was taken quickly to Derry Robson, but he sliced his effort into the stand behind the goal.

From then on, the game largely swung massively in Sedge’s favour, as at the half-hour, Dyche won a free kick on the edge of the box. Jack Carr stepped up to take it, and although he hit into the Ossett wall, Sedge worked the ball over to Jeremie Milambo on the left side, where the Sedge left back would win his team a corner kick, which Ossett managed to clear, but it was apparent which side looked the more likely to score. A good midfield run from Alex Wollerton led to him playing in Carr just inside the box, and his curled effort from the left went just over the bar.

The opening goal came in the 39th minute from Sedge’s man in form Dyche. A bit of a scramble inside the box with Ossett defenders desperately trying to clear their lines presented the opportunity for Dyche to lunge for the ball, which dropped generously close to him. He got his foot to it before anyone else, and his shot past Callum Hiddleston in the Ossett goal for his third goal in two games.

Ossett’s last chance of the half fell again to Robson at the far post following good high pressing from the hosts, but he placed it in almost the same spot in the stand as his earlier chance. Signs perhaps that it hadn’t been a particularly outstanding performance from either side, but Sedge had the all-important goal going into halftime.

HALF TIME: Ossett United 0-1 Liversedge FC

The second half started brightly for the visiting Sedge team, who looked far more controlled and composed early doors, and they quickly made this count. With just about the first chance of the half, Milambo scored Sedge’s second of the afternoon after a low cross bypassed everyone in the middle and fell kindly for Milambo, who calmly finished from the left side into the bottom right corner.

Sedge took near complete control of the game after Milambo’s goal, and they looked to keep adding to their goal difference, which could prove vital by the end of the season. First up, Dyche looked to repeat his brace against Ossett after being played in down the left side. His header to control the ball beat the defender, but Hiddleston saved the shot straight at him. Ossett then went straight up the other end and presented the chance for Watson to try and get one back, but his effort didn’t trouble debutant Louis Hood in the Sedge goal.

Sedge pushed on for the third, with Wollerton striking an effort at the near post after running into the box from the left and forcing Hiddleston to turn the shot behind his goal. The corner was directed towards Dan Hartley at the back post, but Ossett cleared it before the centre-back could make any contact. A throw-in from the right side found Raw in the middle of the pitch before he moved the ball onto Carr, but his shot was held by the Ossett keeper. Wollerton then had a brilliant ranged effort saved well by Hiddleston, and once again, the corner was cleared before Harris could make contact.

Sedge then made their first game change following a knock to Walton and a yellow card shown to Jacob Mcloughlin for chopping down Sedge, who was looking to be on a dangerous counterattack. Walton was subbed off and replaced by our second debutant of the afternoon, Sam Essien, and the midfielder on loan from Boston United immediately impacted the game.

After being played into space down the right side barely a minute after coming on, Essien delivered a brilliant cross into the Ossett area to give Wollerton a well-deserved goal for his performance. Sedge had managed their scoreline from the last meeting only 6 days prior, and now they had 20 minutes to better it. Further changes for Sedge saw Simon Heslop and Carr replaced by George Proctor and Will Portman. Ossett, too, looked to their bench and replaced their two men in yellows. Watson and McLoughlin withdrew, and Sam Tingle and Leon Osbourne took their places. After a good performance despite the scoreline, Ibrahim was replaced by Fabian Bailey.

After debutant Essien showed his quality in assisting the third goal, Hood was given a chance to show his talents, making a brilliant stop following a big mistake from Sedge’s backline, perhaps getting too comfortable in the game. The keepers save one-on-one time, keeping Sedge’s clean sheet intact. He made another excellent stop following a headed chance, though this wouldn’t have counted if it had gone in with the flag going up anyway. Still, the Sedge keeper showed his capabilities nonetheless.

The game then had its fourth goal right at the death, with Sedge countering to devastating effect and Wollerton getting his second goal of the afternoon, sealing a largely dominant display from Sedge and another 3 points as we get stuck into a busy early April schedule.

FULL TIME: Ossett United 0-4 Liversedge FC

Report by Cam Cromack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *