Match Report – Sheffield FC 1 – 0 Liversedge FC

Northern Premier League – East Division

Sheffield FC 1 (Modest 69′)

Liversedge FC 0

Sheffield: Edd Hall (GK), Rory Coleman, Brandon Ferron (Sam Greenhouse 45′), Harry Mitchell (Nathan Modest 62′), Alfie Smith, Bradley Beatson, Stephen Brogan, Connor Cutts, Luke Mangham, Benni Ndlovu, AJ Greaves (Adam Watson 74′). Subs not used: Jamie Yates, Reece Fielding.

Liversedge: Jake Oram (GK), Kwame Boateng, Jeremie Milambo (Alex Wollerton 81′), Simon Heslop, Harry Sheridan, Joe Skarz, Liam Hardy, George Proctor, Joe Walton, Eddie Church, Jack Carr (Alfie Raw 90′). Subs not used: Luke Parkin, Jack Dyche, Lewis Wilkinson.

Referee: Tom Maher

Booked: Greaves (Sheffield) Milambo, Hardy, Wollerton (Liversedge)

Sent-off: Hardy (Liversedge)

Venue: Home of Football Stadium

Attendance: 414

Liversedge travelled to South Yorkshire to face Sheffield FC last Saturday, falling shy of the win after a Nathan Modest goal and a first-half red card for the visiting team.

When the game got underway, Sedge was immediately on the front foot, forcing a chance very early doors with Jack Carr playing in Eddie Church from the left wing, only for the shot to be dragged wide of the post. The visiting team showed excellent early signs, showing good intent from the first whistle.

Sheffield had their first chance soon after, with the eventual man of the match, Stephen Brogan, swinging a free kick into the Sedge box from the right side only for the ball to be headed over the Sedge goal and out for a goal kick.

Sedge attacked again down their left side just before the 10th minute, with Jeremie Milambo finding Church, who crossed the ball looking for Liam Hardy at the far post, but he could not make any contact with the ball before the home team recovered it.

Five minutes later, Church had another opportunity at the Sheffield goal, having been played in again by Carr. This time, his effort would be on target, forcing the first save of the day for Sheffield goalkeeper Edd Hall.

Liversedge kept pushing forward throughout the first 20 minutes of the game. A corner taken by Milambo would eventually find debutant Harry Sheridan sliding to try and make contact with the ball getting away from him. Though he got a slight touch, it wasn’t enough to beat Hall, and the Sheffield keeper gathered relatively comfortably. Moments later, Hardy would get his first yellow card of the afternoon for a late challenge in the Sheffield half.

After 20 minutes, Sheffield grew more into the game, with an AJ Greaves shot from the edge of the box deflecting just wide of the goal to win his side a corner. Brogan took from the left side, and a Sheffield head got on the end to head straight at new signing Jake Oram, who quickly collected the ball.

Liversedge, though, would keep pushing for the goal their start to the game deserved, with Carr cutting in of the left wing on 25 minutes and trying to bend one into the Sheffield goal, but his effort went over the bar. Minutes later, Sedge had their first warning of the afternoon.

On 27 minutes, Sheffield had the ball in the back of the net following good play from Luke Mangham, finding Brogan in the box to shoot from close range. Oram saved well, but Ndlovu pounced quickest to tap the ball in the net, though he was judged to have done so from an offside position. It was a let-off for Sedge halfway through the first 45, but what happened next in the game changed the dynamic.

With Sedge continuing their push for the game’s first goal, the ball came towards Hardy, who went down under pressure from the Sheffield defence. The referee blew his whistle, signalled a Sheffield free kick, and promptly showed Hardy his second yellow of the match, reducing Sedge to 10 men for the remainder of the game in a decision which baffled most watching the game.

With Milambo going in the book a few minutes later, Sedge had to dig in for the remainder of the half after having the best of the opening half-hour. Very few chances followed for either team, with Brogan hitting a free kick into the wall being the host’s last notable chance of the first half and Greaves receiving a yellow card towards the end of the first 45.

Sedge had needed to defend for the last 15 minutes following Hardy’s dismissal, but they managed one last burst forward before halftime, with Church pouncing on a weak back pass to Hall. The Sedge man had managed to get a touch on the ball, knocking it beyond the onrushing keeper, but his touch was heavy, and the ball ran away from him and out of play, Leaving the scoreline 0-0 at the break.

HALF TIME: Sheffield FC 0-0 Liversedge FC

With Sedge a man down and Sheffield making a halftime substitution, seeing Brandon Ferron replaced by Sam Greenhouse, the second 45 got underway, and the hosts, this time, were the ones beginning on the front foot, looking to capitalise on their numerical advantage as Ndlovu forced Oram into a save minutes after the restart.

However, Sedge managed to create their own chances, showing that they were still in the game and looking to score goals. A Milambo free kick managed to find a Sedge head, but the effort went wide of the post, and a corner taken by the Sedge left back, following good work from Church, showed that the visitors still posed a danger to the hosts.

Sheffield soon regained control of the game and created many chances leading up to their winning goal. The first was a corner routine where Brogan had played it to Rory Coleman on the edge of the box to shoot from range though he blasted it well over the bar. Another chance came when Sheffield managed to break through the Sedge defence, and Ndlovu crossed looking for Mangham, but he could not find the striker. Sheffield then made their second sub, replacing Harry Mitchell with Nathan Modest in their 62nd minute.

Church then managed to create a chance for himself, with a nice bit of skill to beat Coleman on the right wing and darting towards the edge of the box before shooting from range with his left foot. The effort went wide but again showed that the visitors could still create chances for themselves. However, two minutes later, the first goal would be scored.

Ndlovu picked up the ball on the halfway line and spotted a good run from substitute Modest. The ball was played in behind, and Modest took a few touches to charge towards the Sedge box before shooting. Though not the best shot, it had enough to beat Oram despite getting a touch on it, and the ball looped into the goal, giving the hosts the lead on 69 minutes.

Sedge now had to chase the game with ten men, and there were a lot of chances for both sides in an open last 20 minutes. The first fell to Brogan, hitting from range, but Oram saved well from the midfielder. Then, George Proctor did well to find Joe Walton free in the Sheffield box, but the striker’s effort exceeded the bar. In a routine similar to their earlier corner, Brogan took a free kick short, looking for Coleman again, but Sedge didn’t give him a chance to shoot. As the game entered the last 10 minutes, Church once again created an opportunity to shoot for himself, but this time, a determined home defence blocked his shot.

Both sides looked to their bench as the game ended, with Greaves being replaced by Adam Watson in Sheffield’s last sub. Sedge brought on Alex Wollerton and Alfie Raw as they chased the equaliser,

Both sides pushed for the next goal, with Mangham squaring the ball to Ndlovu only for his effort to go wide, and soon Sedge’s best chance for an equaliser would come from a corner kick. The ball came in from the right side, and Walton rose highest to get his head to it, but the ball hit the bar, and Proctor’s efforts to force the ball home resulted in another corner, which Sheffield cleared.

With the game entering 6 minutes of stoppage time, Ndlovu had Sheffield’s last chance, but his shot went over the bar following good pressure on him by Sheridan. The last opportunity for Sedge came from a header by Raw, which went wide of the post. After a late booking for substitute Wollerton, the referee blew the full-time whistle, giving Sheffield the three points.

FULL TIME: Sheffield FC 1-0 Liversedge FC

Report by Cam Cromack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *